HPCS Technical Operations Systems Engineer
HPCS Technical Operations Systems Engineer - 1143064 Job Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Do you love solving hard problems having to do with things like scale, performance and availability? Are you are passionate about designing and building elegant, innovative solutions, and are excited about working in the cloud computing space? Are you someone who thrives on conquering big challenges through innovation and execution, and who are ready to contribute in huge ways with a top-notch team to create disruptive products that has a positive impact on all who use it? Then this might be the opportunity for you!
HP Cloud Services is looking for talented and keen technologists to join our Technical Operations team and build the next generation cloud computing platform. You’ll be taking on an eclectic mixture of tasks, software and systems, all while wearing several hats, and will be helping to design, build and maintain the core infrastructure underpinning a highly complex and massive scale platform.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision, learn new skills while improving on existing ones, all the while maintaining a positive and “can do” attitude. This candidate will be passionate about open source software, agile practices and “DevOps” values. Successful candidates will bias toward action and focus on supporting iterative (‘Release early, release often’) approaches to the organization and their work.
- Specify, design and deliver complex systems and network solutions.
- Design, implement and manage automation, build and configuration infrastructure (e.g; Chef, Jenkins, etc) which replaces manual tasks. Train and mentor others in Operations on their effective usage.
- Design and implement system-level and service-level monitoring solutions, training and mentoring Operations and Development teams on their usage and deployment, configuration and management.
- Maintain and troubleshoot in-house and 3rd party software, working with both internal/external groups to ensure our stack is effectively integrated, configured, managed and supported in production.
- Act as a subject matter expert and liaison between different teams to help understand cross-functional requirements and contribute to discussions and planning as required to make those goals into reality, whilst maintaining the performance and availability expected of a high-profile public cloud offering.
- Deliver project milestones and tasks assigned by manager on schedule, communicating progress regularly.
- Author and update high-quality documentation of all relevant specifications, systems and procedures.
- Remain current on trends and make recommendations to correct deficiencies and deliver improvements.
- Support our 24x7 production environment including carrying an on-call pager on rotation.
- Communicate effectively with management, co-workers and business partners.
- Mentor the junior members within the team, and provide direction and leadership within Technical Operations.
- May require evening and weekend work as needed to support business
- On-call duties, support and expectations are a part of this role
- Experience in a role with responsibility for installation, maintenance, tuning, security and high availability of Linux server infrastructures.
- Experience working as a Systems Engineer with common protocols/software including DNS, NTP, NFS, SMTP, HTTP, syslog, SSH
- Strong familiarity with scripting languages; preference given to Ruby, Python and Shell
- Demonstrable experience with designing, deploying and maintaining monitoring solutions using Open Source tools (e.g; Nagios, Munin, Reconnoiter, Graphite)
- Demonstrable experience with running an Open Source automation system such as Puppet or Chef.
- Strong familiarity with agile software development lifecycle including source control systems (e.g; Git), ticketing systems (e.g; JIRA, Bugzilla) and managed workflows.
- Familiarity with operations best practices, including usual themes (e.g; Backups, Security)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to effectively convey messages via presentation to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills, able to nail down tricky problems. Used to isolating things down to network faults, hardware faults, knowledge of performance/tuning within Linux kernel
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience.
Job ID: 1143064 Job - Engineering Primary Location - United Kingdom-United Kingdom-Bristol Other Locations - Ireland-Ireland-Galway, United States-Colorado-Ft. Collins Schedule - Full-time Job Type - Experienced Shift - Day Job Travel - Yes, 25 % of the Time Job Posting - Sep 6, 2013
To apply: Visit http://hp.com/go/jobs and search for job id ‘1143064’.